lundi 24 mars 2008

A long trip

Monday night, concert in Brussels went really well. The venue had an ideal size, the sound was good and the audience really warm. I have a few adjustments to do to get a better balance in my ear monitors in Amsterdam. I left Paris for 3 weeks and took a lot of stuff with me: books, music, instruments... The new book from William Gibson, "Spook Country", "Code Source" in french. An interesting author I know since "Neuromancer". He is like the Philip K. Dick or the Arthur C. Clarke of cyberspace. 



Talking about Arthur C. Clarke, he died few days ago and I have been really sad about it. We became good friends along the years and all his work, especially "2001 a Space Odyssey", have been a great source of inspiration for me. I remember reading 2010, the sequel to 2001, and discovering my name in the aknowledgments saying that my music helped him write the book and I felt so honoured that I wrote him and he replied by giving me his planning for the following years. I visited him in Sri-Lanka; he explained to me the stars beyond the solar system. We spent a few nights on the roof of his house observing space through a fantastic telescope. Memories...



(posted on a mobile phone)

11 commentaires:

Unknown a dit…

Thanks for the great show! Unfortunately the sound-engineer did a really bad job during your last (solo) song :-(

equinoxe a dit…

Thanks for your posts. They make me feel envious of the audience. Please come to Latin America!

Talking about logistics: I wonder how do you transport that huge mirror to all the venues?

Michael a dit…

Talking about logistics: I wonder how do you transport that huge mirror to all the venues?

Probably it is not a real mirror!?! For me it looked like a kind of mirror-plastic-foil. A real mirror would probably be to hard to transport safe and also to dangerous, if it would fell down and smash the musicians.

Unknown a dit…

The most interesting of their tours, is that even the tracklist being same, the executions always end up being a little different! I adore that...
Thanks, friend Jarre...

LutonStevey a dit…

Woh! Oxygene 5 performance was so anarchic/energetic. Haven't seen anything like that since a Prodigy concert I went to a few years back ;)

Seriously though, Cirque Royal was un concert formidable, merci bien et joyeux paques a l'equipe! It was better than the 1st Dublin gig I went to (but we were listening so hard to the music there we forgot to clap, even from us guys in the 2nd row!).

And the reason a British boy such as myself can't make it to the UK concerts? I'm doing a tour of my own round China. I promise to take pics/videos and bring back a souvenir... of china [joke] Don't all groan at once :)

BelgoJurgen a dit…

Jean-Michel, your show in Brussels was awesome. I was there with an American friend and he will make a lot of noise in New York, so they will be prepared for Oxygene if you decide to go there. The show was three times in the headlines in news editions of the flemish broadcaster VRT! Good job! Salut aussi à Francis, Dominique et Claude.

Cosmonauta Spiff a dit…

A Equinoxe 3D will be great, yould know, but I really guess that your next project will be a new and just amazing one!

Like I said when someone answer me what is my favourite Jarre's album:

"By now, Equinoxe. But the really best? The next!"

Until then, cheers from Brasil, the land of the future.

Sergio Sobarzo L. a dit…

How I wish I could be there! :'( I hope some day I can watch one of these concerts live.

Unknown a dit…

Very good show, but i still waithing for a new open-air concert like "docklands or La defense". For me, that's the real Jarre.

Good luck in the future!!!

Leo

Pascale a dit…

Merci, bedankt, thank you all for the best birthday present I ever had. Not only your show was amazing, capturing my attention from the first til the last second. I also enjoyed watching how my daughter of 8 was discovering my idol and Oxygène, at the same age I did. I wish you all a great tour and do hope to see you soon again, dehors comme promis.

João Solimeo a dit…

I´m a huge fan of Arthur C. Clarke and I was also very sad by the news of his passing. It´s funny that when I was reading 2010, I read Clarke thanking Jarre, Vangelis and John Williams for the inspiration while writing the book, and they were (and still are) among my favorite musicians! It´s interesting to know that we are all, somehow, connected by common interests (science fiction, music, space exploration and so on).
It would be great if you could compose something honoring Arthur Clarke again (the show in Okinawa was great, but it´s neve been released).
Joao Solimeo (Brasil)